Joining Second Life is pretty simple. Follow these steps and you’ll be flying through your virtual experience in no time.
(1) You start your journey here https://join.secondlife.com/ .
(2) You will be taken through a process of verifying your email address, creating your avatar, and downloading and installing the Second Life viewer.
(3) In order to participate in the virtual world of Second Life you have to download and install the Second Life Viewer. This is what allows you to access Etopia and the many other virtual locations (sims) throughout Second Life.
(4) Once the software is installed come back to this page.
(5) We ask newcomers to Second Life to enter via Virtual Ability Island. Our friends at Virtual Ability have created a Training Course that will show you how to perform some essential tasks to getting around Second Life. Click on this link to Virtual Ability to open the Second Life teleport map for Virtual Ability Island in your browser. Click on the orange “Visit This Location” button.
(6) When you log in for the first time you will read and agree to the “Terms Of Service” and “Community Standards” documents from Linden Labs, makers of Second Life.
(7) After completing the user agreements your avatar will appear at the start of the training course on Virtual Ability Island.
(8) You can go through the training course at your own pace. You are not required to complete the course or even begin it. We recommend it as an enjoyable, self-paced way to become familiar with the basics of walking, flying, chatting, and more.
(9) Once you are in Second Life and ready to visit Etopia EcoCommunities return to this page and click here to open a teleport map for Etopia in your browser. Click the orange “Visit This Location” button.
(10) A teleport option, known as a landmark, will open in your Second Life viewer. Click on the “Teleport” button at the bottom of the landmark.
(11) Welcome to Etopia. Accept our gifts, join our group, and wander the sims to see real life examples of how we can live and work sustainably.